So Spring is here and Summer is just around the corner. Everyone will be working hard to get those beach bodies ready in the gym and with working out comes eating right and healthy. Salad is a number one go to for clean eating, but sometimes we get bored of the leafy greens and vegetables, especially those who crave something more hearty. Here are some hearty and healthy salads that you can try…
1. Grilled Chicken Salad w/ Fruit
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce – rinsed, dried and torn
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, cool, and slice.
- Meanwhile, place pecans in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pecans until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the red wine vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil, onion, mustard, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Arrange lettuce on serving plates. Top with grilled chicken slices, strawberries, and pecans. Drizzle with the dressing to serve.
Per Serving: 567 calories; 46 g fat; 23.2 g carbohydrates; 17.8 g protein; 43 mg cholesterol; 428 mg sodium.
2. Avocado Shrimp Salad
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 pound cooked salad shrimp
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Stir together avocadoes, tomatoes, onion, and shrimp in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in lime juice. Serve cold.
Per Serving: 319 calories; 17.1 g fat; 14.9 g carbohydrates; 29.1 g protein; 196 mg cholesterol; 203 mg sodium.
3. Chicken Broccoli Salad
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Combine broccoli, chicken, walnuts, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar together in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour mayonnaise dressing over broccoli mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, if desired. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon to serve.
Per Serving: 341 calories; 28.7 g fat; 12.8 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 28 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium.
4. Warm Steak & Potato Salad
- 1 pound new potatoes
- 1 pound beef sirloin steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby salad greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to broil or preheat a grill for medium-high heat. Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Broil or grill steaks for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, and tarragon for dressing; season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide greens, tomatoes, and shallots among 4 plates. Cut warm, unpeeled potatoes into quarters; slice steak into 1/4 inch thick strips. Top salad greens with steak and potatoes; drizzle dressing over salads. Serve warm.
Per Serving: 359 calories; 17.6 g fat; 27.9 g carbohydrates; 23.2 g protein; 60 mg cholesterol; 409 mg sodium.
5. Chicken Fiesta Salad
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 (1.27 ounce) packet dry fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- Rub chicken evenly with 1/2 the fajita seasoning. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix beans, corn, salsa and other 1/2 of fajita seasoning. Heat over medium heat until warm.
- Prepare the salad by tossing the greens, onion and tomato. Top salad with chicken and dress with the bean and corn mixture.